Sunday, May 26,2024 - 6:4 GMT+7  Việt Nam EngLish 

3rd ASEM Conference on "Global Ageing and Human Rights of Older Persons" 

 Wednesday, August 15,2018

AsemconnectVietnam -  From Sep 05, 2018 to Sep 07, 2018

Hosted by: Korea
Location: Seoul, South Korea
Event type: ASEM Initiatives

3rd ASEM Conference on "Global Ageing and Human Rights of Older Persons" will take place on 5-6 Sep 2018. The event will be hosted by National Human Rights Commission of Korea (NHRCK) and cooperatively organized byASEM Global Ageing Center.

National Human Rights Commission of Korea has been hosting international conferences at the ASEM level for the last three years since 2015 regarding human rights of older persons. Up until now, right to accessible healthcare, prohibition of age discrimination, right to work, right to be free from violence and abuse, and right to social security are discussed as well as social exclusion and eradication of poverty of the elderly.

Moreover, measures were sought to enhance the human rights of older persons through collective action of the international community including the Madrid International Plan of Action on Ageing (2002-2022) and Sustainable Development Goals (2016-2030). In particular, it was clearly stated in the Chair’s Summary that ASEM Global Ageing Center is needed as a focal point for international cooperation, and in 2017, a Roundtable Meeting was held to discuss operation of the ASEM Global Ageing Center.

People aged 60 and above account for 13% of the total population around the world, and the figures are 12%, 25% and 17% in Asia, Europe and Oceania, respectively (UN World Population Prospects, 2017). The figures are relatively high when compared to those of Africa and Latin America and the Caribbean, which are 5% and 12%, respectively. This is why ASEM members should continue discussing the human rights of older persons. With the global trend of decreasing birth rates and increasing life expectancy, the elderly population is expected to drastically increase.

Despite the increasing number of the elderly, human rights issues of older persons have not been sufficiently addressed. Older persons are exposed to diverse types of discrimination and they are not provided with adequate living environments to guarantee human dignity and proper treatment. In order to address these issues and protect the human rights of older persons, cooperation among various stakeholders including the academia and civil society organizations, policy change for the elderly in ASEM members and international collaboration are needed.

The 3rd ASEM Conference on "Global Ageing and Human Rights of Older Persons" will reaffirm the universal value of the human rights of older persons, share information on discrimination against the elderly and exemplary cases of long-term and palliative care in Asia and Europe, and discuss operation and tasks of the ASEM Global Ageing Center as an implementing institution for mutual cooperation among ASEM members for the protection and promotion of the human rights of older persons.


 © Vietnam Industry and Trade Information Center ( VITIC)- Ministry of Industry and Trade 
License: No 56/GP-TTDT issued by the Ministry of Information and Communications.
Address: Room 605, 6 th Floor, The Ministry of Industry and Trade's Building, No. 655 Pham Van Dong Street, Bac Tu Liem District - Hanoi.
Tel. : (04)38251312; (04)39341911- Fax: (04)38251312


Hitcounter: 25711722538