Strategy of renewable energy development of Viet Nam to 2030 with a vision to 2050
AsemconnectVietnam - Development of renewable energy does not only focuses on expanding scope and increasing proportion of renewable energy sources to total primary energy supply, contributing to ensure energy security, but also solve problem of supplying energy for rural areas, contributing to boost development of production, building a society of using natural resources saving, efficiency, environmental friendly.
STRATEGY OF RENEWABLE ENERGY DEVELOPMENT OF VIETNAM TO 2030 WITH A VISION TO 2050
I. Development viewpoints
1. To combine development of renewable energies with implementing objectives of socio-economic and environment: Development of renewable energy does not only focuses on expanding scope and increasing proportion of renewable energy sources to total primary energy supply, contributing to ensure energy security, but also solve problem of supplying energy for rural areas, contributing to boost development of production, building a society of using natural resources saving, efficiency, environmental friendly. Development of renewable energy bases on natural resources and socio-economic development demands; matching with natural resources and energy needs of the whole country and each locality.
2. Development and use of renewable energy associates with development of renewable energy industry: giving priority rapid development of renewable energy sector which has great natural resources and good commercial prospects, such as wind power, solar power and biomass power, performing necessary measures to expand market demand, at the same time, enhancing international cooperation for transfer of technology for development of equipment manufacturing industry; acquiring, looking towards autonomy in technology, raising equipment manufacturing capability and competitiveness in renewable energy market in order to meet market demand sustainable and stable, creating favorable conditions for renewable energy industry to develop on a large scale.
3. To combine short-term use of technology with develop long-term technology: Focusing on using proven technology in field of renewable energy, such as hydropower, wind energy, solar energy, biomass energy, biogas to develop renewable energy sources to provide efficiently power for national electricity system and thermal energy for heating needs in production and daily living. At the same time, paying attention to new, modern technology which have prospects in future, such as technology of producing liquid biofuel using advanced technology generation two and generation three.
4. Combining incentives and support policies with market mechanisms: applying incentives measures, supporting policies on economic, finance to promote development and use of renewable energy to address problem of shortage of primary energy and supply energy for rural areas. Establishing mechanisms and use market measures to attract capital from all economic sectors into development of renewable energy, while contributing to improve technical level of renewable energy technologies, promoting development of industry of manufacturing renewable energy equipments, constantly improving competitiveness, towards industry of renewable energy, through supporting policies of the State, soon achieves large-scale for development.
5. To combine restructuring with raising capacity of the State management in field of renewable energy: improving management capacity at central government and local authorities in management of activities of renewable energy development and using; gradually eliminating barriers and promulgating mechanisms and policies to encourage suitable renewable energy to develop rapidly renewable energy sources.
II. Development strategy and objectives
1. Development strategy: encouraging to mobilize all resources of the society and the people for developing renewable energies to promote capacity of accessing to modern, sustainable, reliable and affordable energy sources for all people; promoting development and use of renewable energy sources, increase domestic energy supply source, gradually increasing proportion of renewable energy sources to production and consumption of national energy in order to reduce dependence on sources of fossil fuel energy, contributing to ensure energy security, mitigate climate change, environmental protection and develop sustainably socio-economic.
2. Strategic objectives:
- To gradually raise rate of accessing to clean energy sources and electricity of the people in rural areas, mountainous area, remote area, border area and island: by 2020 the most of households have electricity, by 2030, the most households have access to modern, sustainable, reliable energy services, with reasonable electricity price and energy prices.
- To develop and use renewable energy sources to contribute to implement sustainable environmental objectives and develop green economy:
+ To reduce greenhouse gas emissions in energy activity which compare with normal development plan: about 5% in 2020; about 25% in 2030 and around 45% in 2050.
+ To contribute to reduce import fuel for energy purposes: reducing 40 million tons of coal and 3.7 million tons of oil products by 2030; reducing about 150 million tons of coal and 10.5 million tons of oil products in 2050.
- To increase total amount of produced and used renewable energy sources from about 25 million TOE (tonnes of equivalent oil) in 2015 to reach about 37 million TOE in 2020; about approximately 62 million TOE by 2030 and 138 million TOE in 2050. Proportion of renewable energy to total amount of primary energy consumption in 2015 hits about 31.8%; approximately 31.0% in 2020; approximately 32.3% in 2030 and increasing to around 44.0% in 2050.
- To increase electricity output produced from renewable energy from approximately 58 billion kWh in 2015 to reach about 101 billion kWh in 2020, about 186 billion kWh in 2030 and about 452 billion kWh in 2050. Proportion of electricity output produced from renewable energy to total amount of national electricity production increases from approximately 35% in 2015 to about 38% in 2020; approximately 32% in 2030 and around 43% in 2050.
- To increase absorption area of solar hot water units from about 3 million m2 in 2015 to reach about 8 million m2 in 2020, providing 1.1 million TOE; approximately 22 million m2 in 2030, providing 3.1 million TOE and approximately 41 million m2 in 2050, providing 6 million TOE. Increasing rate of households having devices using solar units (water heating unit, heating and cooling of space, water distill... using solar energy) from about 4.3% in 2015 to around 12% in 2020, about 26% in 2030 and 50% in 2050.
- To raise scale of using biogas technology with construction volume from about 4 million m3 in 2015 to about 8 million m3 in 2020; about 60 million m3 in 2030 and about 100 million m3 in 2050.
- To convert use of traditional biomass for cooking in households and in industry, local small scale handicraft industry from traditional and underperforms equipment and kitchen to modern, high performance biomass energy equipment and kitchen. Putting rate of households using advanced and high performance kitchen and equipment from negligible levels at present to 30% by 2020; about 60% in 2025 and from 2030, almost of rural households use high-efficiency, sanitary equipment.
- To increase output of biofuels from about 150,000 TOE in 2015 to reach about 800,000 TOE, meeting about 5% of fuel demand of transport field in 2020; approximately 3.7 million TOE, meeting about 13% of fuel needs of transport field in 2030; in 2050, biofuel output reaches 10.5 million TOE, meeting about 25% of fuel needs of transport field.
- To promote development of renewable energy technologies and industries, building system of renewable energy industry, raise rate of value of domestic production facilities in field of renewable energy: gaining about 30% in 2020; increasing to 60% in 2020; in 2050, guaranteeing to meet domestic demand, partly for export to countries in the region and around the world.
III. Development orientation in each period
1. In a period from now to 2030:
- To develop and use independent renewable energy sources to meet objectives of rural electrification: build program of developing independent power systems from renewable energy and electric at household scale for difficult and extremely difficult areas, remote, mountainous and island areas aiming at poverty reduction and socio-economic development to achieve objectives by 2020, almost of rural households have electricity, by 2030 almost of rural households uses clean, hygiene energy sources.
- To invest in development of power plants using grid renewable energy:
+ To encourage investment in developing power plants from grid renewable energy which have economic feasibility. Implementing support on a competitive basis, ensuring power supply with affordability to be mobilized into system and developing renewable energy technologies for long-term purposes.
+ To encourage and support development of some forms of renewable energy technologies which are not yet feasible in economic terms, on a selective pilot basis in order to assess extraction capabilities, perfecting technology, shaping market and human resource development.
+ To focus resources on development research and transfer of renewable energy technology, investing in surveying and constructing data base of renewable energy sources for long-term purposes.
- Developing and using renewable energy sources to supply heat:
+ To increase to support activities of investment, research, development and use of renewable energy sources for heating using purposes in order to reduce fossil fuel use and environmental protection.
+ Government supports in early stage part of cost to encourage installation and development of renewable energy technologies for effective and sustainable production and use of heat on basis of ensuring standards and quality under prescribed to meet outlined objectives.
- Development and use of biofuels:
+ To increase human resources for research and development; surveying, planning biofuel development areas and developing pilot biofuel project to use and partially replace gasoline demand nationwide.
+ To support investment in pilot project of producing biofuel generation 2 and generation 3, use biofuel materials which are not food:
2. Orientation to 2050:
- To focus resources, exploit and use maximum domestic renewable energy potential with advanced technology, in line with actual conditions of each region, bringing high efficiency on socio-economic and environment.
- To develop strongly market of renewable energy technologies, industry of producing machinery and equipment and supplying renewable energy services in the country.
- To strengthen strongly potential for research, development, transfer and application of new forms of renewable energy.
IV. Development orientation of fields
1. Hydropower development orientation:
- To develop traditional hydroelectric power source to contribute to socio-economic development of localities; supplying electricity source for each locality, improving electricity supply safety.
- To developing consistently with plan of development of small and medium –sized hydropower resources of localities, basing on full assessment of environmental impact.
- Follow – grid small hydropower projects will be implemented under avoided cost.
- Electricity output produced from hydroelectric sources rise from approximately 56 billion kWh in 2015 to nearly 90 billion kWh in 2020; approximately 96 billion kWh from 2030.
- To develop storage power source to perform tasks of reserving, adjusting demand in power system, contributing to improve flexibility and efficiency of power system operation. Output of storage power sources by 2030 reaches about 2,400 MW, 8,000 MW in 2050.
2. Orientation for development of biomass energy sources:
- To prioritize to use biomass for electricity production, biogas, biomass used directly as fuel and liquid biofuels. Improving rate of using waste of industrial, agriculture trees for energy purposes from 45% in 2015 to 50% in 2020, 60% in 2030 and 70% in 2050.
- To increase rate of livestock waste for energy purposes (biogas) from about 5% in 2015 to 10% in 2020, 50% in 2030, by 2050, almost of livestock waste will be treated.
- To increase rate of treating cities’ waste disposal for energy purposes from negligible levels at present to 30% in 2020, 70% in 2030 and the almost are utilized for energy purposes in 2050.
- Total amount of used biomass energy rise from 14.4 million TOE in 2015 to about 16.2 million TOE in 2020; approximately 32.2 million TOE in 2030 and 62.5 million TOE in 2050.
Out of which:
+ Total amount of biomass for electricity generation increases from 0.3 million TOE in 2015 to about 1.8 million TOE by 2020; approximately 9.0 million TOE by 2030 and around 20 million TOE in 2050, which are corresponding with electricity production increasing from 0.6 billion kWh in 2015 to nearly 7.8 billion kWh in 2020; approximately 37 billion kWh in 2030 and 85 billion kWh in 2050. To increase proportion of electricity output produced from biomass sources to total amount of electricity output from about 1.0% in 2015 to about 3.0% in 2020 ; 6.3% in 2030 and around 8.1% in 2050.
+ Total amount of biomass for heat production rise from 13.7 million TOE in 2015 to about 13.6 million TOE in 2020, to 16.8 million TOE by 2030 and around 23 million TOE in 2050. Total amount of biomass energy for final energy demand accounts for about 25% in 2015, representing about 17% in 2020, making up 14% in 2030 and 12% in 2050.
+ Total amount of biomass for biofuels production increases from 0.2 million TOE in 2015 to 0.8 million TOE in 2020; approximately 6.4 million TOE in 2030 and about 19.5 million TOE in 2050.
3. Orientations for development of wind power:
- In a period to 2030, giving priority to development of wind power on land; researching to develop offshore wind power, on shelf since 2030.
- Total electricity output produced from wind power increases from 180 million kWh in 2015 to about 2.5 billion kWh in 2020; approximately 16 billion kWh in 2030 and about 53 billion kWh in 2050. To increase proportion of electricity output produced from wind power in total amount of produced electricity output from negligible levels today to reach about 1.0% in year in 2020, 2.7% in 2030 and around 5.0% in 2050.
4. Orientation for development of solar energy resources:
- To develop solar power to provide electricity to national electricity system and border areas, islands and remote areas which can not supply power from national power grids. Electricity produced from solar energy increases from 10 million kWh in 2015 to about 1.4 billion kWh in 2020; about 35.4 billion kWh in 2030 and about 210 billion kWh in 2050. To increase proportion of electricity output produced from solar energy sources to total amount of produced electricity from negligible levels at present to approximately 0,5% in 2020, about 6% in 2030 and 20% in 2050.
- To develop devices and equipments those use solar energy to provide heat for households; industrial production, agriculture production and services. Total amount of heat supply solar increases from 1.1 million TOE in 2020 to about 3.1 million TOE in 2030 and 6.0 million TOE in 2050.
V. Mechanisms and policies
1. Forming market of renewable energy:
- To prioritize investments and use of renewable energy in development of energy sector, as a basis for building and promoting development of renewable energy market.
- To encourage organizations and individuals with various forms of ownership to engage in development and use of renewable energy, the State protects lawful rights and interests of organizations and individuals which develop and use renewable energy.
2. Policies of electricity price and investment guarantees:
- Ministry of Trade set up, submit the Prime Minister for approval electricity price which are applicable to electricity production projects using off-grid renewable energy. Electricity price is in consistent with conditions of various regions and characteristics of power generation technology from different renewable energy sources in principle of helping to promote development and use of renewable energy create and ensure that investors will recover costs and earn a reasonable profit; electricity prices are adjusted in time, in line with development of technologies using renewable energy sources...
- Electricity companies are responsible for purchasing all electricity produced from use of off-grid renewable energy sources in area managed by the electricity companies. Electricity trading will be done through a power purchase contract issued by the Ministry of Industry and Trade.
Cost of purchasing electricity of electricity generation projects using renewable energy sources must accounts in electricity price of electricity companies and being calculated and putting fully in electricity retail price structure and recovering through electricity sale revenue.
- Electricity projects using renewable energy sources for electricity generation will be given priority for connection to national electricity system. Connection fee and other reasonably incurred expenses of electricity grid companies (companies of power transmission and power distribution) due to purchase electricity produced from renewable energy sources will be calculated in cost of electricity transmission, distribution of electricity grid companies.
- For independent electricity system using independent electricity sources which produce electricity from renewable energy sources, investors develop scheme of electricity prices and determine total amount of supporting the State budget to submit the Ministry of Industry and Trade for evaluation and report to the Prime Minister for approval. Total supporting amount shall be deducted from Fund for sustainable energy development.
3. Organizations and individuals operating in electricity field have responsibility to contribute to development of renewable energy industry of the country. Electricity generation companies and electricity distribution companies should meet Renewable Portfolio Standard - RPS:
- Electricity generation companies which have installed capacity of more than 1,000 MW (excluding electricity source invested in form of BOT), proportion of electricity produced from use of renewable energy sources (not including hydropower sources with a capacity of more than 30 MW): not less than 3% in 2020; not less than 10% in 2030 and not less than 20% in 2050.
- Electricity distribution companies have rate of produced electricity, purchase electricity produced from electricity sources using renewable energy sources and final electricity customers ultimately produced from renewable energy sources (excluding hydropower sources with a capacity of more than 30 MW): not less than 5% in 2020; not less than 10% in 2030 and not less than 20% in 2050.
- Ministry of Industry and Trade shall set annually minimum proportion of renewable energy sources of electricity production companies and electricity distribution companies.
4. Net metering payment mechanism (Net Metering):
- Final electricity customers which are purchasing electricity from national power system, implementing development of power source using renewable energy with primary purpose of self-assurance for their electricity needs, will be applied net metering payment mechanism.
- Electricity distribution companies are responsible for signing power purchase agreement under principle of net metering payment mechanism with final electricity customers which install electricity source using renewable energy.
- The Ministry of Industry and Trade regulates simple connection processes, procedures to encourage final electricity customers to take part in investment; prescribing method of valuation, other necessary trade agreements to ensure harmony between interests of final electricity using customers and electricity distribution, trading companies.
- Total electricity output produced electricity source using renewable energy sources of final electricity using customers will be counted in renewable portfolio standard (RPS) of electricity distribution companies, electricity trading companies.
5. Preferential and supporting policies for development and use of renewable energy:
- Projects of developing and using renewable energy sources are entitled to preferential investment credit under existing legal provisions on investment credit and export credit of the State.
- Tax incentives:
+ For import duty: Projects of development and use of renewable energy sources are exempted from import duties for imported goods to form fixed assets for the projects; imported goods which are raw materials, spare parts and semi-finished products and can not be manufactured domestically and being imported for production of the projects will be fulfilled under provisions of current laws on export tax and import tax.
+ For enterprise income tax: exemption or reduction of enterprise income tax for projects of developing and using renewable energy sources will be implemented as for projects in field of investment incentives stipulated the current laws on tax.
- Incentive policy on land: The projects of development and use of renewable energy sources will be exempted or reduced land use fees and land rent as stipulated by current legal provisions which are applicable to projects in the field of investment incentives.
- To prioritize to research related to development and use of renewable energy resources in field of development of science and technology and development of high technology industry; allocating expenditures from funds to support scientific and technology research in pilot projects, projects of industrialization for development and use of renewable energy, promoting technological improvements related development and use of renewable energy, reducing production costs of renewable energy products and improving quality of renewable energy products.
6. Environmental protection policy: Organizations and individuals those use fossil fuels for energy purposes have to pay environmental fees corresponding to volume of used fossil fuel. A part of environmental charge will be used to encourage development and use of renewable energy sources through a fund for sustainable energy development.
VI. Measures on implementation of the strategy
1. Strengthening the State management on development and use of renewable energy:
- Ministry of Industry and Trade performs unified management functions on development and use of renewable energy in the whole country. Related ministries under their functions and their duties, performs management of development and use of renewable energy in relevant fields.
- Agencies performing function of the State management on energy in centrally run provinces and centrally-run cities (common call the provinces) are responsible for management on development and use of renewable energy in their management area.
2. Investigating natural resources of renewable energy sources:
- Ministry of Industry and Trade functions as the main implementer, in collaboration with related ministries and relevant agencies to organize investigation, evaluate potential of renewable energy sources in the whole country; guiding content of investigation and evaluation tasks.
- The Ministry, under their function, their duties and guidance of the Ministry of Industry and Trade, implement investigation of concerned renewable energy sources under their management, sent result of investigation to the Ministry of Industry and Trade for collecting.
3. Setting up plans on development of renewable energy sources:
- Ministry of Industry and Trade:
+ Basing on estimation of energy demand and capacity of supplying renewable energy sources in the country, setting up plans on development of renewable energy sources in the country, submitting the Prime Minister for approval and announcing and organizing implementation of the plan after the plan is approved by the Prime Minister.
+ Basing on national plan on development and use of renewable energy sources, building and publishing plan on development of renewable energy industry and a list of key projects given priority to implement.
- Provincial People's Committee, which have potential to develop renewable energy sources, organizing to set up plan on development of renewable energy sources of the provinces, submit the Minister of Industry and Trade for approval.
- Relevant ministries are responsible for setting up relevant plans of their ministries, creating favorable conditions for implementation of national objectives on development and use of renewable energy sources which has been approved by the Prime Minister.
- Content of plans on development and use of renewable energy sources nationwide and at provincial levels include development goals, major tasks, location of key projects, implementation progress, construction of related grid, system of service, safety measures...
4. Development of national standards and regulations:
- Ministry of Industry and Trade set up to apply or publish application of national technical standards for electricity grid which are synchronous with renewable energy using electricity source and national technical standards for projects, other equipment related to renewable energies those should have national technical standards to apply uniformly across the country.
- Related ministries and agencies actively build or publish to apply related basic standards for matters which does not include in system of national standards.
5. Measures of increasing rate of development and use of renewable energy sources:
- Solution of development and use of solar energy:
+ To encourage organizations and individuals to develop and use solar energy systems to heat water, heating and cooling system which using solar energy and power generation systems using solar energy.
+ Real estate development enterprises are responsible for implementing request of using solar power in design and construction of buildings, in accordance with technical standards which are promulgated by the competent authorities of the State.
+ For a completed building, users can install system of using solar energy which meets concerned technical standards and product standards with conditions such as does not affecting quality and safety of the buildings.
- Solutions of promoting development and use of biomass energy:
+ Electricity plants using coal fuel for electricity generation should study to combine use of biomass with coal. The Ministry of Industry and Trade specifies minimum proportion of biomass energy for each power plant which are suitable with local province and in stages.
+ Investors of low efficiency, old coal-fired power plants should research, renovate technology to switch to use biomass fuel technology.
- To encourage development and use of clean, high efficiency biofuels and development of energy crops: The State encourages production and use of liquid biological fuel. Gasoline trading enterprises must combine with selling liquid biological fuel which meet national standards in fuel sale systems in localities; each year, the Ministry of Industry and Trade issues specific regulation on minimum proportion of liquid bio fuel that gasoline trading enterprises must combine to sell in provinces and localities.
- To encourage development and use of renewable energy sources in rural areas: the provincial People's Committee shall functions as the main implementer, in collaboration with other relevant bodies, basing on demand of socio economic development of localities, ecological environment protection and comprehensive control of hygienic conditions, set up plan of development of renewable energy sources in rural areas in consistent with local conditions, populating use of biogas and other conversion of biomass energy, solar energy, wind energy and small-scale hydropower.
6. Financial support for development and use of renewable energy:
- To set up fund for sustainable energy development which use capital from the State budget, revenues from environmental fees for fossil fuel, funding, contribution sources from domestic and foreign organizations and individuals and other legal funding sources in order to support finance for activities of encouraging development of energy sector on a national scale. In field of development and use of renewable energy, sustainable energy development funds are used:
+ Covering costs incurred by electricity companies:
. To invest in independent power system using independent power sources which produce electricity from renewable energy sources.
. Developing electricity grid to connect with source of electricity which produces from renewable energy sources, which can not be recovered from electricity transmission price.
+ Using to support:
. Technology and scientific research in building standards and pilot projects for development and use of renewable energy sources;
. Project of using renewable energy in rural areas;
. To construct independent power generation systems by using renewable energy sources in rural and remote areas and islands;
. To survey and evaluate renewable energy sources and develop involved information systems;
. To promote production and localization of device and equipment for development and use of renewable energy sources.
- To prioritize research related to development and use of renewable energy resources in field of development of science, technology and development of high technology industry; allocating funds from fund to support scientific and technology research in pilot projects, project of industrialization for development and use of renewable energy and promoting advancement of technology relating to development and use of renewable energy, reducing production costs of renewable energy products and improving product quality.
7. Solutions on development of human resources:
- To improve capacity of management and development of renewable energy sources at all levels;
- To encourage and support universities and vocational training institutions to develop curricula and teach new courses relating to renewable energy.
- To encourage and support tasks of research and development of renewable energy in organization of scientific and technical research, in particular for depth study of specific renewable energy technology in accordance with Vietnam's characteristics.
- To develop short term and long-term cooperation plans with international organizations in development of human resources, education and training on renewable energy.
- To encourage and support development of services and consulting organization in a field of renewable energy.
8. Solution on supporting market formation and renewable energy technologies:
- To set up a national program on renewable energy to promote use of renewable energy in electricity generation and use of solar energy, bio-gas for households; implementing programs of research and development of renewable energy technologies, disseminating information, advertising community in field of renewable energy development.
- To build and develop industry of renewable energy, encouraging research, transfer, reception and effective application of technical advances and new technologies in production and use of renewable energy.
- To form and develop market of renewable energy technologies, creating equality on basis of fair competition among enterprises in all economic sectors and supporting to promote development of projects of production, trading and service of renewable energy.
9. Strengthening information dissemination and raising awareness of the people and communities in developing and using renewable energy:
- To promote communication and dissemination of knowledge to all citizens on importance and huge socio economic effectiveness and tremendous environmental protection effectiveness of development and use of renewable energy in process of sustainable development so that there are strong practical action to contribute to development and use of renewable energy.
- To encourage and support technique to the people, community to extend and deploy scale of models of development and use of renewable energy in households and enterprises.
- To encourage and support communities to develop models of development and use of renewable energy, implementing experimentally, looking toward to replicate model of green homes, green building, green urban and green rural areas (village); out of which, majority of energy needs will be supplied by renewable energy sources, waste from industrial production, agriculture, forestry and livestock which are treated, used reasonably for energy purposes.
10. Strengthening international cooperation in field of renewable energy:
- To strengthen international cooperation in order to attract capital and promote technology transfer in field of renewable energy.
- To actively receive, ownership and transfer advances technical and technologies, new scientific achievements in field of development and use of renewable energy sources in the world to grow fast, strongly and sustainably renewable energy field in Vietnam;
- To strengthen bilateral cooperation, expand multilateral cooperation with countries which have developed industry of renewable energy with rich potential foreign organizations and individuals to study experience in energy renewable development;
- To proactively build and implement programs, schemes and projects of international cooperation to enlist maximum help of experience, wisdom, support of capital, equipment and attracting investment to develop production and use of renewable energy.
VII. Organizing implementation
1. The Ministry of Industry and Trade:
Ministry of Industry and Trade is a key responsible authority in field of development and use of renewable energy and with key following tasks:
- To perform assigned tasks which are specified in this plan.
- To develop a roadmap of implementation of this plan, submitting to the Prime Minister for consideration and approval.
- To conduct studies and pilot projects on renewable energy technologies.
- To select typical towns and communes in ecological areas to build a pilot project of develop green urban, green countryside; on that basis, proposing solutions for replication nationwide.
- To establish transparent market mechanisms to promote investment in developing and using renewable energy sources.
- To enhance development of human resources for development of renewable energy sources.
- To coordinate with related ministries and agencies to implement integration of projects of renewable energy development with rural electricity supply program, national target programs on new countryside construction and other relevant programs in rural areas, mountainous areas and island areas.
- To strengthen advocacy to raise awareness about benefits of development and use of renewable energy sources.
- To promote international cooperation with countries in the region and in the world in field of renewable energy.
- To issue regulations and guide related entities to perform and ensure fair access to grid for power generation projects which produce electricity by using renewable energy sources.
- To propose new mechanisms, new policies and regulations on encouraging investment in development and use of renewable energy sources, which are suitable for each stage, submitting to the Prime Minister for approval.
2. The Ministry of Construction: in collaboration with the Ministry of Trade and concerned ministries to develop technical standards for use in combination use of solar energy with energy systems in constructing apartment houses, high level buildings.
3. Ministry of Science and Technology:
- To evaluate and publish national regulations, standards relating to production and use of renewable energy sources at request of the concerned ministries and agencies.
- To prioritize research related to development and use of renewable energy resources in development of science, technology and development of high technology industry.
- In collaboration with the Ministry of Industry and Trade to implement research programs, promote science - technology activities in field of renewable energy to encourage absorption and application of advanced technologies of the world.
4. Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development:
- Shall functions as the main implementer, in collaboration with Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment and provincial People's Committees to identify and develop policies regarding the most efficient use of land for growing energy crops.
- In collaboration with the Ministry of Industry and Trade to implement dissemination of improved stoves to raise efficiency of biomass using stoves and develop advanced biogas system in rural areas, looking towards universalization of use of clean energy sources in rural areas.
- To issue sustainable criteria and evaluation methods for development of sustainable biomass in forest sector; building program of combining forestry development with biomass fuel development.
- Shall function as the main implementer, in collaboration with the Ministry of Industry and Trade to set up plan of producing raw material for biofuel production.
- Shall function as the main implementer, in collaboration with the Ministry of Planning and Investment, the Ministry of Finance to formulate and implement preferential, supporting policies on production of biomass raw materials for production of biofuels.
5. Ministry of Transport shall coordinate with Ministry of Industry and Trade to study science and technology and policies to promote use of biofuels in personal vehicles, public transport systems, cargo transport and air transport.
6. Ministry of Finance: shall coordinate with Ministry of Industry and Trade and other related ministries and agencies to regulate appropriate tax policy and appropriate tariff for renewable energy projects.
7. Ministry of Planning and Investment: formulate investment incentive policies and mechanisms to attract investment and create conditions for domestic investors and foreign investors in field of renewable energy production.
8. Ministry of Education and Training implement integration of related knowledge and technology of renewable energy into general education programs and vocational training programs.
9. Electricity companies
- Electricity grid management companies signs agreement of connection of electricity grid with enterprises using renewable energy sources for electricity generation which have been licensed or being in list of power generation projects using renewable energy which have been approved by the competent authorities, purchasing entire output of electricity from electricity generation projects using renewable energy which meet technical standards for grid connection in area having grid system managed by electricity companies.
- To develop transmission grid and distribution grids under plans of national power development and plans of power development of localities which have been approved by competent authorities; taking into account expectation of development of power supply using renewable energy sources and links among areas to ensure security of electricity supply.
- To develop and apply smart grid technologies and energy storage technology, improving operation and management of electricity grid, improving ability of receiving electricity which uses renewable energy sources.
- To study, prepare model of market design and operate electricity systems to allow integration with a huge rate of electricity source which use renewable energy (wind and solar).
- To research to improve ability of predict output of hydroelectric power, wind power, solar power; researching to integrate online forecasting data with control system of power system control center.
- To research methods of evaluating a need for adding measures of enhance flexibility of power system; conducting research to examine and assess costs and benefits of electrical system in case of power using renewable energy accounting for a high proportion.
10. Related ministries, branches, localities, enterprises, organizations and individuals under their functions and tasks, organize and implement well content of this plan.