AsemconnectVietnam - To ensure fairness, equality, healthy competition between higher education institutions in human resource training. Strengthening conditions to ensure quality, openness and transparency of these conditions for learners and society to know and supervise.
SCHEME ON IMPROVING UNIVERSITY EDUCATION IN A PERIOD OF 2019 - 2025
I. Direct viewpoint
1. The State plays a role in constructing and supporting through setting up policies, creating a favorable environment for development of university education.
2. To promote socialization, mobilize and effectively use all resources for investment in university education.
3. To be proactive in international integration of university education. Strengthening connection between university education institutions and employers during the entire training process.
4. To ensure fairness, equality, healthy competition between higher education institutions in human resource training. Strengthening conditions to ensure quality, openness and transparency of these conditions for learners and society to know and supervise.
1. General objectives
To create a strong and substantial change in quality of training, scientific research and technology transfer of university education system to meet needs of human resources; contribute to improve labor quality and productivity, promoting creative startups, strengthening competitiveness of countries in the region and the world.
2. Specific objectives by 2025
a) About quality of graduates:
- 100% of graduates meet output standards including foreign language, information technology and soft skills standards to be ready to participate in labor market.
b) Regarding conditions of quality assurance and educational quality accreditation:
- To strive for 100% of university lecturers with a master's degree or equivalent, out of which, at least 35% have a doctorate degree;
- To strive for 100% of university education institutions (eligible) to conduct quality accreditation, out of which, about 10% are accredited by reputable foreign accreditation organizations;
- Over 35% of training programs are accredited domestically or abroad, out of which, 100% of teacher training programs at all levels are accredited;
c) About university autonomy:
- To strive for 100% of university education institutions to well implement the autonomy mechanism associated with accountability.
d) Regarding international integration:
- To strive for 100% of university education institutions to exploit and use training programs and open learning materials shared online by prestigious universities in the world;
- More than 70% of university education institutions have exchange of lecturers and students with universities in the region and the world;
- More than 70% of university education institutions with training sectors among 8 sectors have been recognized in ASEAN region to complete the procedures for recognizing equivalent qualifications and converting learning certifications universities in the region;
- At least 02 university education institutions ranks among the 100 best universities in Asia, 10 university education institutions are ranked among 400 best universities in Asia, 04 university education institutions is ranked among the top 1,000 universities in the world according to prestigious international rankings.
d) Regarding scientific research, technology transfer and community service:
- Over 30% of university education institutions have at least 3 topics, programs or projects to cooperate with foreign countries in scientific research every year; over 50% of university education institutions can implement at least 02 scientific research projects or technology transfer for domestic and foreign organizations;
- Over 50% of university education institutions hold at least 01 annual international conference;
- At least 10 scientific journals of domestic university education institutions have been upgraded to meet standards of international journals in ASEAN and the world.
e) About the training program:
- Over 50% of university education institutions use all or integrate a part of foreign curricula and curriculum into the school's training programs;
- Strive for 100% of targeted training programs, content designed to meet the needs of socio-economic development and labor market.
III. Tasks and solutions
1. Promote autonomy and innovation of university education administration in association with effective management and supervision mechanisms.
a) Effectively select, build and operate a number of university management models which are suitable to Vietnam's conditions to meet requirements of international integration. Innovating governance, reducing administrative intervention from the State agencies, ensuring transparency and publicity; moving from management model to effective management.
b) Promoting strong internal resources of all units under university education institutions. Performing dissolution or merger of university education institutions which are inefficient; review and stop enrolling students in slow training programs or no longer meet the needs of society.
2. Strengthen conditions to ensure quality and promote accreditation of university education
a) About lecturers and managers:
- Innovating and perfecting system of teacher training, university lecturers standards and qualifications of renovating teacher training programs, prioritizing investment in a number of key pedagogical universities;
- Paying attention to remunerate teachers and educational management officials; implementing salary payment under work performance. Strengthen training of professional competencies for lecturers and managers;
- Select and appoint lecturers to train abroad to improve their qualifications by the State budget and other funding sources; strengthening the exchange of lecturers and managers between Vietnamese university education institutions and foreign university education institutions, especially in advanced countries;
- Attract lecturers who are foreigners, overseas Vietnamese or Vietnamese who are working or teaching abroad to participate in domestic teaching and training programs, especially high quality training programs.
b) Regarding facilities and equipment:
- Support investment, upgrade facilities, equipment for some university education institutions under international standards, which have the task of training highly qualified human resources to meet labor market requirements, sufficient competitiveness with prestigious universities in the region;
- Encouraging investment in information technology application in training management, scientific research and community service of university education system;
- Form a number of common modern practice and experiment centers for university education institutions; pilot constructing a number of international university villages to attract prestigious foreign university education institutions to participate in international training and research;
- Encourage university education institutions to actively build, connect, share resources and cooperate in scientific research and training with other university education institutions.
c) Regarding assurance and accreditation of education quality:
- Develop a system to ensure and verify quality of Vietnamese higher education in terms of quantity and quality in accordance with regional and world standards and practices. Focusing on building and developing quality culture in schools;
- Promote accreditation of university education institutions and training programs of university education levels to ensure objectivity and fairness; encourage accreditation according to the standards of prestigious regional and international organizations. In short term, focus on quality testing in direction of approaching the standards of ASEAN university quality assurance network;
- Building a national database system on assurance and accreditation of higher education quality. Forming a Vietnamese university ranking system linked to the region and the world to ensure independence and transparency; gradually raising the ranking of Vietnamese university education institutions in prestigious international rankings.
3. Innovating training management, training programs and methods
a) Develop output standards for all training programs based on Vietnam's national qualification framework. Signing an agreement with prestigious university education institutions in the world to recognize the equivalent of training programs and credits.
b) Support and encourage university education institutions to invest in developing high quality training programs, training in foreign languages in priority areas (such as information technology, tourism, agriculture green industry ...) create competitive human resources in the region and internationally. Determining time and roadmap for reducing targets, ending training of industries that are no longer suitable or needless.
c) Diversify training and retraining programs for laborers who have graduated from university or higher level according to labor market demand. Developing training models, online and remote learning forms. Encouraging development of a system of educational establishments, training and fostering centers attached to enterprises, ensuring requirement of updating practical knowledge and skills.
4. Promote scientific research, technology transfer and community service activities
a) Mobilizing resources for key scientific research and investment for a number of university education institutions with outstanding research results, creating spearhead research directions, contributing to raising quality training, meeting Vietnam's socio-economic development and international integration requirements.
b) Encouraging highly applicable researches, solving practical problems posed; promote the transfer of research results of university education institutions to businesses, communities and society.
c) Attract foreign lecturers and scientists to participate in scientific research at domestic educational institutions. Encouraging domestic university education institutions to cooperate with foreign university education institutions in the field of training, scientific research, technology transfer, training of teachers and scientific staff and education management; Increase the number of scholarships for students to study abroad.
5. Promote internationalization of university education
a) Focus on strengthening English language ability for learners through the effective implementation of the foreign language teaching and learning project in the national education system for the period of 2017-2025 and create an environment for using language English in university education institutions; attract international students and international lecturers to study and teach; strengthen training programs taught in English.
b) Forming a team of full-time officials in international cooperation in higher education institutions; encourage domestic and foreign individuals with capacity and experience to participate in international cooperation activities in training and scientific research.
c) Strengthening communication, organizing conferences, seminars, and programs to introduce domestic and foreign education on Vietnam’s university education.
6. Develop and implement a system of information collection, analysis and forecast of supply and demand of highly qualified human resources
a) Surveying and assessing the status of high quality human resources in Vietnam, proposing solutions to improve the quality of high-quality human resources in the coming time.
b) Develop a system of collecting information, analyzing and forecasting the supply and demand of highly qualified human resources according to the output standards of university education institutions and professional standards of professional associations and business communities. career.
c) Develop a system to connect and share information on highly qualified human resources among managers, policy makers, supply-demand forecasting agencies, university education institutions and businesses.
7. Develop mechanisms and policies to create healthy resources, motivation and competitive environment for university education development
a) Research and propose mechanisms and policies to create motivations for university education lecturers to improve the quality of training; salary policy and working regime of lecturers, creating a favorable working environment to develop the capacity of education management staff and university education faculty.
b) Complete investment mechanism for university education institutions in the direction of focus and key point. Concentrating on investing in building a number of spearhead training disciplines at regional level, taking nuclear programs of talented bachelors, high quality programs and advanced programs.
c) Proposing an appropriate mechanism to increase mobilization of capital from domestic and foreign organizations and individuals for higher education development; ensuring fairness between public and non-public educational institutions; expand forms of preferential credit for higher education institutions and students.
d) To adopt policies to encourage enterprises to support and accompany university education establishments in training, scientific research and community service activities; a mechanism to connect enterprises with university education institutions in participating in the formulation, compilation, appraisal and implementation of training programs.
IV. Funding, financial mechanism
1. Funding sources
a) Funds for implementation of the Scheme are ensured from the state budget and contributed by domestic and foreign organizations and individuals; sources of socialization and other lawful sources of income according to current law provisions.
b) Funds for implementing the Scheme's tasks and solutions from the State budget allocated in the annual estimates of the Ministry of Education and Training, ministries, branches, localities and higher education establishments study and related parties in accordance with the current State budget law.
2. Financial mechanism
a) Agencies and units using the State budget funding shall make estimates and send them to competent authorities for consideration, approval and management and use according to law provisions.
b) Units presiding over the solutions specified in the Scheme shall have to mobilize lawful funding sources, combine them with the State budget to ensure implementation of the Scheme of appropriate practical condition and comply with the provisions of law.
c) State management agencies, university education institutions, organizations and units shall coordinate with the Ministry of Education and Training in proposing activities suitable to the Scheme's tasks and solutions; cost estimates submitted to competent authorities for consideration and decision according to the State budget management decentralization and current law provisions.
d) Organizations, individuals and enterprises with adequate capacity and conditions to contribute funds and exploit and benefit from activities within the framework of the Scheme in accordance with current law.
V. Organizing implementation
1. Ministry of Education and Training
a) To function as the key implementer and in collaboration with ministries, branches and localities in organizing implementation of the Scheme.
b) Coordinate with the Ministry of Labor, War Invalids and Social Affairs and other related parties in forecasting supply and demand of highly qualified human resources and training teachers in the whole country.
c) To guide the inspection, supervision and synthesis of results of the Scheme implementation; organize a preliminary review and review of the implementation of the Scheme and report it to the Prime Minister; propose to adjust and supplement the Scheme in case of necessity.
2. Ministry of Finance
a) To function as the key implementer and in collaboration with Ministry of Education and Training and the concerned ministries, branches and localities in allocating regular funding for the implementation of the Scheme.
b) Allocate budget estimates, allocate funds for implementation of the Scheme strictly according to law provisions.
3. Ministry of Planning and Investment
To function as the key implementer and in collaboration with Ministry of Finance, Ministry of Education and Training and the relevant central agencies and localities to balance development investment capital to implement the Scheme in accordance with the Law on the State budget, public investment law.
4. Ministry of Labor, War Invalids and Social Affairs
To function as the key implementer and in collaboration with Ministry of Education and Training and concerned ministries, branches and localities in periodically announcing forecast of human resource demand and labor market information throughout the country.
5. Ministry of Science and Technology
To function as the key implementer, in collaboration with relevant ministries, branches and localities to take measures to monitor, inspect, supervise and review implementation of topics and projects according to schedule.
6. Vietnam Chamber of Commerce and Industry (VCCI) and professional associations
Participate in developing output standards, professional standards for each training industry; participate in the process of training human resources, supervising conditions to ensure the quality and quality of output of university education institutions.
7. Related ministries and agencies
a) The concerned ministries and branches or their attached university education institutions shall base themselves on their functions and tasks to coordinate with Ministry of Education and Training and the concerned agencies and units in implementing the scheme.
b) Strengthen administrative reform, encourage affiliated university education institutions to promote autonomy in accordance with law.
8. People's Committees of centrally run provinces and cities
a) Basing on the functions and tasks, coordinate with Ministry of Education and Training in forecasting the demand for highly qualified human resources in the locality;
b) To direct the local university education institutions or the ministries and branches in the localities to well perform the development of high-level human resources.
9. University education institutions
a) provide necessary information for the system of information collection, analysis and forecast of supply and demand of highly qualified human resources.
b) Implement effective university management; focusing on investment in facilities and equipment; improve the quality of lecturers and managers; strengthening the quality assurance conditions and implementing education quality accreditation; promote solutions to improve the quality of training, scientific research and community service.
c) Promote exchange and international cooperation in training and scientific research.
10. Enterprises, employers
a) Provide financial support and closely coordinate with university education institutions throughout the training process to ensure graduates achieve the standard of output; actively order training and retraining of human resources to meet the needs of enterprises.
b) Closely connecting with the information system to collect, analyze and forecast the supply and demand of highly qualified human resources to develop strategic plans in production and business of enterprises.